If you’re a wine and cheese lover – and aren’t we all? – you’ll know how fantastically well they go together. If you want to impress at your next dinner party or get together, check out our handy cheat sheet guide to perfect wine and cheese pairings!
Pairing the right wines with the right cheese is serious business, and not to be underestimated. Things that need to be considered when selecting include:
- Tannins – Tannic red wines go perfectly with rich, aged cheeses but are far too astringent with young cheeses
- Saltiness – As a general rule, salty cheeses go well with sweet wines only
- Texture – Certain textures go well together, while others clash, finding balance is key
- ‘What grows together goes together’– In general, wines and cheeses can be matched by region or terroir
- Cheese as a food – Consider cheese in the same way you would a meal, lighter cheeses go better with lighter wines, heavy cheeses with heavy wines.
If the above sounds a bit too complicated, here is a quick and easy cheat sheet to follow instead. Print it out and stick it on your fridge!